Over-the-Top (OTT) Television ads work best combined with Linear TV according to VAB’s new 2018 report, “Linear TV and OTT: Living Together in Harmony.”
In the Video Advertising Bureau’s newly released report, they define Linear TV as “ad-supported cable or broadcast TV programming viewed live as it airs or time-shifted.” This includes services like Dish and Direct TV as well as TV watched through an antenna.
Over-the-Top (OTT) is defined as “premium long form video content that is streamed over the internet through an app or device onto a TV (or PC, Tablet or Smartphone) without requiring users to subscribe to a wired cable, telco or satellite service. OTT includes video that is streamed through apps like Netflix, Hulu and Sling TV.”
“Combining linear TV and ad-supported OTT inventory can deliver even stronger campaign results and increased business outcomes for marketers,” said VAB CEO Sean Cunningham. “Advertisers utilized over nine trillion premium TV ad impressions in the U.S. in 2018. Adding OTT to the media mix will extend the reach and engagement of the premium, brand-safe environment marketers are demanding in order to drive product and services sales growth.”
According to the VAB, when a campaign runs on both Linear TV and OTT, you will reach a wider range of demographics and targets and your message will be reinforced by utilizing both traditional television marketing and new, directly targeted OTT marketing.
Some of the most important takeaways from this report are listed below:
- Linear TV accounts for 81% of weekly video viewing time
- 67% of all households have access to an internet enabled TV device and 38% own a smart TV
- 73% of adults that watch streaming video say they watch ad supported OTT video
- Households that watch both linear TV and OTT index higher in several categories for engagement/attentiveness and consider themselves more knowledgeable when it comes to certain products and entertainment
- 75% of streamers prefer to watch OTT content on a connected TV versus a smartphone/tablet
- Viewing an ad on both OTT and Linear TV leads to a more than two-fold increase in brand favorability
- Viewers spend an average 2x longer engaging on connected TV vs. similar ads online and 56% like being able to interact with video ads